Chickpeas has always been my favourite, especially the one my mom makes with puri (deep fried little rotis). We used to have it for breakfast on Sundays usually, can still remember the taste of it. 😊
I made this very simple and easy chickpeas curry, with coconut milk, even my little boy like it a lot. For him I made it milder with the chilli powder and I added more for myself.
A quick fix curry, if you are craving for something Indian then this is ready in less than thirty mins. Serve with some warm basmati rice to a delicious Indian vegetarian meal.
This recipe is quite simple and requires very few ingredients, you can have it with plain basmati rice, cumin rice (jeera rice) or even rotis or chapathis.
|30 mins, 20 if using canned chickpeas
- 200 grams of chickpeas soaked overnight or 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium size tomatoes (3 small ones)
- 1 tbsp of ginger and garlic paste
- 1 tbsp concentrated tomatoe purée
- 1 tin of full fat coconut milk (use only the cream from top)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil for cooking
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 1 tsp of cumin powder
- 1 tsp of coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp of Garam masala
- 1 tsp of Kashmiri red chilli powder (use 1/2 tsp if you want it less spicy, add more if you like it really spicy)
- Sea salt
- 1/2 tsp of ground pepper
- Add the soaked chickpeas in the pressure cooker along with 2 and half cups of water and let it whistle 3 to 4 times. Make sure the chickpeas is cooked well, or one tin chickpeas.
- Add coconut oil on a non stick pan, once heated add the chopped onion and fry for about 5 mins, until the onion is translucent
- Add the ginger and garlic paste and sauté for 2 mins
- Add the chopped tomatoes and sauté for about 5 mins until the oil separates from it.
- Add the tomato paste or purée
- Add all the spices and sauté for 2 mins
- Add the chickpeas (if using tinned chickpeas then drain the water) and fry for about a min or two until everything is combined.
- Add the cream from the coconut milk and simmer for two mins.
- Take it out of the heat otherwise the coconut milk might curdle
- Serve with basmati rice or roti