Indian spiced lamb cutlets (Lamb Meatballs)
When I think of lamb cutlets I can only remember one thing, takes me way back to nearly more than fifteen years ago, to my best friends house in a neighborhood called BTM layout, in Bangalore India. We are still best friends by the way, I can still pick up my phone whenever I feel like talking to her and we still chat and laugh the same the way we used to fifteen years ago. I moved to Dublin, Ireland few years ago, but that didn't change anything at all.
I very well remember after school, I would I would go to her house and her Mother would prepare these gorgeous lamb cutlets, deep fried, mixed in glorious Indian spices and I still remember how they tasted. She did share her recipe with me, but this is a simplified version of it, some day I will definitely make those authentic lamb cutlets too.
These cutlets are very easy to put together, I used most of the Indian spices which we usually have at home, for those outside of India or my Non-Indian friends you will easily find all the spices in any Indian store.
I make these almost once a week, especially for my little boy, who finishes his plate clean when I serve him these ;)
You can have them as a starter, a side dish with any Indian meal, like a simple rice and dal, or I have also added them to subs and made delicious sandwiches. It is up to you how you want to eat them. I love mine with some ketchup on the side along with baked potato wedges. One day I just had them with some cumin rice and fresh cucumber.
|Prep Time:||Less than 40 mins|
|Servings:||Makes about 15 cutlets or patties|
- 500 grams lean lamb mince
- 100 grams fresh wholewheat bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
- 2 tbsp whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp paprika / chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Himalayan salt to taste
- One small onion chopped
- Mix all the above ingredients in a big bowl, might be a good idea to use your hands to mix so that all the spices mix well together
- Take about a big tbsp of the mixture and make small patties or cutlets
- Heat only a tsp of oil on a non stick pan or a cast iron skillet, shallow fry the cutlets, for about 5 mins on each side, make sure the lamb is cooked thoroughly.
- Serve immediately, while warm, as a side dish or by itself with some tomato ketchup.